Monday, October 02, 2006

Ricky Fitts' Dilemna

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, like my heart is going to cave in.

Its been a while since I've been overwhelmed by the physical beauty of a city. Normally what hits me about a city is how convenient it is to live there or how great or crap the weather is or how many grocery stores and movie theatres I'd find in a 5 mile radius of where I stay.
Paris is... different.

Its rare that I can walk around in a city, turn a corner and say "Whoa. So here it is."
Last Thursday I was in Paris to get my UK Visa from their embassy and found myself with about about an hour to kill. I found myself in Madeleine, aimlessly wandering around, walking the streets.

Within 20 minutes of walking around, I had found L'Eglise de la Madeleine, the Headquarters of the FIA in the Place da la Concorde, Cleopatra's Needle, my first view along the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe, Jardins des Tuileries and at the end of which is the Musée du Louvre.
Omnipresent throughout was the towering La Tour Eiffel.

I could have honestly walked around there forever but the shock of seeing so many recognizable symbols in such a short time was a little overwhelming. I wandered about with dropped jaw for quite a while.
That walk... it was something else.

To capture the magic of that little interlude, this blog is a rather poor excuse but like Ricky Fitts in this movie, I need to remember.

1 comment:

kart said...

I guess you didnt take your camera along. Make another trip with your lens. it's worth it.