Thursday, October 05, 2006

I recommend...

That you watch 'Omkara'.


The movie is really good and the acting, Saif in particular being bloody brilliant, is excellent.
I won't review the film in detail since there are far superior reviews out there, like this one.

However, I will say that the UP(?) dialect of Hindi had me groping on occasion and though I always got the gist of what people were saying, I would certainly had enjoyed it more had I understood exactly what each dialogue snippet meant.

Secondly, the supporting characters performed much better than the leads with Saif and Konkona Sen Sharma stealing the movie from under the leads' noses. You end up investing less in the main drama playing out in the movie when the supporting characters hook you more. If Bhardwaj is the kind of director it takes to have Saif performing like this, man, lets have more of him.

Thirdly (and this may link to my first gripe) I didn't follow some of the motivations behind the initial theft of the cummerbund that forms an essential part of the movie. I didn't quite get why Langda Tyagi's wife helps out in that regard.
Was it explained in the scene after? Was it not?

All things considered, just go see the film. See it twice. Take your friends. Even the music, which is wonderful, is so entrenched in the movie (except for one song, 'Namak') and the atmosphere that you don't feel the running length, don't look at your watch or wish for a remote control with a fast forward button.

No comments: