Monday, May 22, 2006

Keeping Up with Movies

Watching film and cinema is an important part of who I am and what I do. There was a time when my parents wondered whether my increasing expenditure on DVDs was worthwhile but I think they now realise that I'm more than just a casual movie watcher. I'm not a "have-to-go-first-day-first-show" guy at all and I'd rather watch a good DVD in the comfort of my own home and rewatch selected scenes again.

What this all means is that despite how incredibly busy I am with work, studies, assignments and marketing the Summer Ball (its our version of Prom Night), I've got to keep up with them movies.

So far the list of movies that I've seen for the first time while in Singapore include:
Munich
Brokeback Mountain
M:I 3
The DaVinci Code
Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learnt to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Magnolia
Dogville
Groundhog Day
The Constant Gardener
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Repeat viewings include:
All the President's Men
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Princess Bride
Lost in Translation
Chariots of Fire

In my playlist for the coming weeks is Capote, The Virgin Suicides, Cache, Rang De Basanti (still haven't seen this one. I tend to neglect Indian cinema... something I shouldn't be doing).
My DVD collection has also slightly increased.
I keep promising to jot down my thoughts on some of these films before they exit the public consciousness but somehow I never get down to it. People would much rather read Roger Ebert, methinks, if they wanted a film review.
Maybe I should promise... film thoughts follow. Promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should try free-lancing movie reveiws. It would really change the way you thought about movies, and earn you some extra money in a few decades if you're lucky. Well, no, if you're lucky, you may be able to make a few extra pennies now, even.