Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I Finally Follow

The first week in b-school is the educational equivalent of being dunked in the deep end and held down there until you either die or grow gills, whichever is first. Most students, I am reliably told, grow gills.

My particular deep end had underwater lifeforms such as finance, financial accounting and quantitative measurement methods. It was kinda difficult, initially, to make out what these new creatures were, what with all the bubbles surrounding my head. It was all new and wildly colourful and yet after 3 case studies and several hours of industrious labour and slaving in breakout rooms and conference rooms with Microsoft Excel, T-Accounts, Balance Sheets, Income Statements and Cash Flows, I think I finally get the hang of it.

Yesterday provided the first of several unique moments. After finally completing a rather long case study, 5 euphoric grad students hopped out of campus to get dinner at an hour rapidly approaching midnight. On impulse, one of them while crossing the road shouted out, "Net Present Value", and cartwheeled thrice and onto the pavement.

Its going to be fun here. I'm learning as much about finance and accounting as I am about fellow students. As long as I can survive with 4 hours sleep a day, I might enjoy this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is what life is all about -enjoy & make the best of everything - but dont you try cartwheeling !!!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! Crazy dudes:). Glad you are having a fun time.